Freelance Grant Writer
The grant writer will research and lead grant writing efforts. A primary focus of this position is to gather information from various departments and coordinate/write grant proposals for donors.
- Searches grants and communicate to the executive director on grants announced domestically or overseas
- Prepares proposals by determining concept, gathering and formatting information, writing drafts, and obtaining approvals.
- Determines proposal concept by identifying and clarifying opportunities and needs, studying requests for proposal (RFPs), and attending strategy meetings.
- Meets proposal deadline by establishing priorities and target dates for information gathering, writing, review, approval, and transmittal.
- Coordinates requirements with contributors and contributes proposal status information to review meetings.
- Gathers proposal information by identifying sources of information, coordinating submissions and collections, and identifying and communicating risks associated with proposals.
- Develops proposal by assembling information including project nature, objectives/outcomes/deliverables, implementation, methods, timetable, staffing, budget, standards of performance, and evaluation.
- Writes, revises, and edits drafts including executive summaries, conclusions, and organization credentials.
- Maintains quality results by using templates; following proposal-writing standards including readability, consistency, and tone; maintaining proposal support databases.
- Obtains approvals by reviewing proposal with key providers and project managers.
- Improves proposal-writing results by evaluating and re-designing processes, approach and coordination.
Education, Skill Requirements and Essential Functions
- Three years of experience in planning, research, and/or evaluation of programs
- Demonstrably successful grant writing experience. (3+ years)
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Strong initiative and follow-through on responsibilities.
- Ability to develop short-term and long-term strategic planning.
- Ability to evaluate programs.
- Creative writer and problem solver.
- Good time management and organizational skills.
- Detail oriented.